I get many queries from fellow bloggers who are confused and troubled just like I used to be a month ago. I answered them personally but realized there are many people with same questions, so I have come up with the idea to blog queries.
Hi Falak, As you already know, I am a regular visitor of your blog. I admire it quite a lot, which I’ve been letting you know about it by posting a number of nagging comments. And plus, you are very beautiful. Actually, I am stuck in the world of ‘hosting & WordPress’. And I need your help. Please come to my rescue. I noticed that you have your site monetized and I wish to do the same. Now, apparently, I am using WordPress blog on the free plan. Now, please tell me “WHAT TO DO TO MONETIZE MY SITE?”
I remember I asked a fellow blogger the same question & he replied me the same way, to him I am thankful till now. I had no idea about WordPress.org till I decided to upgrade my WordPress.com plan. So, I remember how annoyed I used to stay during those days. The more I google, the more I get confused. Below are few points, based on which I decided to opt self-hosting:
- Free to set-up, you really don’t have to care about anything.
- Happiness Engineers are always happy to help via emails.
- Be ready to pay more which is not worth.
- There’s no contact number, only emails.
- There will be limitations on your site like you can’t have third-party advertisements.
- You need to have a minimum number of page views per month, which you won’t know before upgrading your blog. I read somewhere on the Internet that the page views required for Ads are nearly 20k, obtaining which is difficult for new bloggers.
- You can’t keep your full earning with you, you will have to share a part of it with WordPress.
- It won’t cost you more.
- You can monetize your site anyhow (this point is worth remembering over the cons).
- Even if you don’t know technical things, you’ll learn it fast.
- You’ll get the support quickly on support forums if you are asking the right way.
- Few prices are hidden. You’ll have to buy the premium theme if you don’t like the free theme for your website.
- Similarly, you’ll have to pay for the upgrade version of plugins.
- You can migrate your followers, stats, comments but not the likes on posts.
- I lost my featured images/thumbnails while importing my media.
- There’s no comment tab for self-hosted sites on WordPress Application.
- Importing data from wordpress.com blog can be troublesome if your data exceeds 2 Mb.
If you wish to monetize your site with less money invested, you must go with self-hosting & then link it with wordpress.org. Web-hosting company BlueHost provides you the best rates & service, all you need is to make them a call. Compare their plans & then take your last decision. For monetization purpose, you have many options like Adsense, Private Ads, Affiliate Marketing, Sell own products or Paid Blogging. I hope for all of you the best. You can ask me your queries in the comments below or send me a mail. If you like the post, do share it.